Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Team Reunion


This past Sunday, the team I went to Haiti with had a reunion, since our family will be moving to Texas in the next month or two. We wanted to have one final get-together before we left. Unfortunately, only about half the team was able to make it since the meeting was organized at the last minute. But we still had a wonderful time visiting with each other, laughing, and updating each other on the status of our projects.
 
I am really thankful that our team has been different than a typical missions team. Since we’ve returned from Haiti, we haven’t just slipped back into our normal lives and put Haiti in the back of our minds. Several of the team members—including myself—have taken action! One of the ladies on our team is working to get medical help for two little girls we met up on La Montagne. The baby with hydrocephalus is now recovering from life-saving surgery. The nine-year-old girl that we met will soon have surgery to repair the severe burns on her body sustained earlier this year. This lady on our team will be going back to Haiti in December to see the little baby and the progress she has made.
 
Another member of our team has collected items to send to Haiti. Everything from hair items, clothes, shoes, and money for food has been collected by him, and he is now researching the best way to get them to Haiti. Another team member has already sent in his application to go on the summer 2013 trip to Haiti through World Hope!
 
My Mom and my sister have been searching for Creole Bibles to send to La Montagne. We just received word this week that we will have 100 Bibles donated to us to send to the people on La Montagne! We just have to figure out how to get them there as soon as possible. And of course, I’ve been working towards building an orphanage on La Montagne, to serve the children on the mountain.
 
I don’t say all this simply to brag on our team (although I am proud of them!) I say this because I am so excited to see the way God is working in our lives. Before this trip, we were just acquaintances who happened to be going on this trip together. We were all excited about the trip, but we had no idea how it would change our lives.
 
First off, God truly knit our hearts together during this trip. We were all brothers and sisters in Christ before, but we truly became family on this trip. Since we’ve returned, I know that I’ve felt some withdrawal at only seeing them once or twice a week. J We pray for each other, encourage one another, keep each other accountable, and give each other big hugs every time we see one another.
 
Without the love, support, and encouragement from my Haiti family, I would be so discouraged about this project to build an orphanage. I can’t begin to express how very thankful I am for each and everyone on the Haiti missions team! They are an incredible blessing to me!
 
“I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:3-6
 

No comments: